ARRL RTTY Roundup

Discussion of amateur radiosport activities.

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Postby w4tzx » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm

The ARRL RTTY Roundup will be this Jan 4th and Jan 5th. It will start at 1800z or 12 noon on Saturaday Jan 4 and run through 2400z or 6pm on Sunday Jan 5.
RARC will participate in this contest at the field day site (Glen's Shop). This is a RTTY and Digital (PSK31) contest. There will be a club station with callsign K4RFT
set up running on FLDigi software. We are planning to operate at the start of the contest on Sat at 1800z and run as long as someone wants to operate the station up to 24 hours total per contest rules.
This is an opportunity for anyone interested in digital communications and / or contesting to come learn, operate, and get to see FLDigi software in use. A 32 inch
TV monitor will be used for display so everyone can see action as it progresses.

Rules of this contest are found at http://www.arrl.org/rtty-roundup

On another note, This is an opportunity to set up FLDigi on your computer, set up macros for the contest and operate both at clubsite and home. This is a 30 hour
contest with the provision you can only operate 24 hours on your callsign log. Come work the club site awhile and continue at home!

For questions you can post on this forum or email me at carrelectric@wk.net

Thanks

Todd w4tzx
w4tzx

Re: ARRL RTTY Roundup

Postby Noel KJ4UNX » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Cool this sounds like it might be fun. I just might have to show up and learn something. hi hi

kj4unx
Noel KJ4UNX

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 pm

This will be fun ! I plan on operating when no one else has the con ! :)

I would heavily advise that, since this is a contest, that actual contest software be used ... with the flDigi engine and/or MMTTY/2Tone. This would be exactly as we set it up for Field Day with N1MM Logger. The reason for this is that it will be MUCH easier on the operator to click the incoming callsign and exchange and make running much smoother and quicker. And quicker is what it's all about ! 8-)

What is the anticipated hardware setup ? I can contribute any and all items used at the digital station for Field Day. Just ask.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 pm

All operators should be sure to read the rules !!! There are specific things to be aware of in this contest.

• Of the 30 hours of the contest period, you are allowed to work 24.
  • The 6 off hours can be taken in no more than 2 blocks
  • There is a 6 band change per hour rule for multi-op stations - just something to be aware of.
  • The Ontario sections are NOT subdivided in this contest (unless that changes from last year)
  • Note that DX stations will give a serial number
  • The multiplier list should be familiar - the states and Canadian provinces
  • The multipliers count once - not once per band (not unusual)

Just details that need to be known. Always know the rules of the game ! 8-)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby w4tzx » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:38 pm

We are planning on using the ft950 already at the shop and I was go to bring my laptop with the software. It will have all the toys: FLDigi, MMTTY, N1MM, 2Tone and
any thing else I can think of. I need to get an idea of everyone that is interested. We can set up in a full contest mode and also use FLdigi alone to show the
advantages of contest logging software. We have 20,15, and 10 meters covered with the beam. I was going to set up a dipole for 80 and 40 meters. I was going to map our progress on a virtual globe but found everything requires internet access to operate. The 6 hours off in two blocks should not be an issue as you can take 1 hour at one time and 5 hours another time or any combination of two events. I am open to any ideas from anyone as I hope to make this another annual club event!

Thanks Todd
w4tzx
w4tzx

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Todd:

Does the FT-950 have an FSK interface or are we planning on using AFSK with some auxiliary box (like a Signalink) ? As it turns out, I have a cable set for the FT-950 for the Microham Microkeyer that we used at FD, if that's preferable.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby w4tzx » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm

I put in the wrong model It is a FT920. The GOTA rig. According to the manual the 920 has both FSK and AFSK capabilities. An afternoon with the rig will probally be
in order to verify what we will be needing for the setup. I will look into the duty cycle on PSK and RTTY. If it is a problem, we may have to use another rig.

Todd
w4tzx

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:16 am

OK - well I was thinking TS-950 instead of FT-950. Slight confusion there ! :o

Yes, the FT-920 has a pseudo-FSK setup. It's really just AFSK. This is fine but I don't have a specific interface for it. We'll need one.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 am

If we make this an annual event, we may want to invest in an interface or at least a correct cable set to use with my Microkeyer. The choice would be the club's. For the cable set, see the following PDF -

http://www.microham.com/Downloads/DB37-FT-920.pdf

This will work perfectly and provide CAT and keying with one USB cable back to the computer. Cost - $90. :o Yea, they don't give them away ! :x

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:01 am

I downloaded the FT-920 manual and took a look at it's digital connections. It has a slide switch on the back that allows you to choose AFSK or FSK ! Interesting ! I was wondering why the FSK and audio in lines were connected to each other on the Microham cable set. 8-)

Anyway, if we plan on doing any PSK31 in addition to RTTY, we should use AFSK to avoid reaching behind and sliding the FSK switch ! :o The Microham cable set allows you to JUST flip that switch if you really want FSK without substituting cables.

There are other interfaces and I'm pretty impressed with the new Timewave Navigator. A simple audio interface like a Rigblaster will work as well, but we'll need separate CAT control. Alternatively, I can whip up a FSK cable to RS-232 to plug into that 5-pin MIDI plug on the radio.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Next

Return to Contest Forum