ARRL RTTY Roundup

Discussion of amateur radiosport activities.

Re: ARRL RTTY Roundup

Postby w4tzx » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Everyone that is interested participating in the ARRL RTTY Roundup should post to this forum. Having this info will help us determine station setup and how best
to set up software for the contest. If there is enough participation, we will go full contest mode and use heavy duty equipment. If the interest is minimal we can
use go FLDigi alone and set up with just the basics. I would not ask anyone to dismantel their station and bring it for a few hours of contesting. I hope everyone
will participate even if it is only for a couple hours. We can post a time sheet if everyone can give a time they can operate. Remember, this to help anyone
interested digital communications and/or contesting. Most importantly it is to have fun. It is a perfect opportunity for first timers, plenty of help on hand.

Thanks,
Todd w4tzx
w4tzx

Postby Noel KJ4UNX » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Well I am planning on attending. I took off the 2nd and 3rd so I would not have to work that weekend. Plus taking those days gave me 2 weeks off straight. So I will be there. And as far as a schedule it don't matter to me. We can use anything I have here if you need it signal link, cables, headphones or just what ever.

Do we need to plan on a small meal for those going to be there? If we are going to be there at supper time we could chip in together and order something from the smoke house or pizza from stephfono's or just where ever just throwing out ideas. Just thinking ahead plus fat people always think about where their next meal is going to come from. HI HI With all the cooking over the holiday's I did not want to add more on to the XYL's.

kj4unx
Noel KJ4UNX

Postby w4tzx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:23 am

Great Noel,

Thanks for the offer on equipment and yes we will just get something that night. With your and Jamie's interest it looks like we will do the 24 hours. We will
proceed with full contest mode set up and I hope to see a long list of operators. Again the contest starts at 12 noon Saturday and runs until 6pm Sunday night.
Everyone come have some fun. We need operators! Operate an hour, two,or off and on the whole contest!

Jamie,

Do you think the FT920 will handle the load?

Thanks
Todd w4tzx
w4tzx

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I have the interface taken care of. I have acquired for club use a used Microham Microkeyer (like what we use at the digital station on FD) from a ham posting on eHam.net. The cable set is also ordered.

We're in business ! 8-)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby w4tzx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Outstanding Jamie. I will be making a dipole for the club. It will be cut for the 80 and 40 meter bands. It will be ready for RTTY Roundup.

Thanks, Todd
w4tzx
w4tzx

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey guys:

Anyone interested in getting set up this weekend ? Todd, we have the Field Day wire antennas available unless you've already made up your antenna. I have a 30 foot mast we can erect where we normally put up the CW antenna mast for Field Day. That way, we already have distal attachments in place for the ends. Todd, if your antenna works well on 80M and 40M, then great ! We won't have to use an outboard tuner. If you want to use the FD antenna, we'll use the tuner we normally use at the base of the antenna and is powered by a bias-T through the coax.

Just let me know what we need and if I have it, I'll bring it ! 8-)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby w4tzx » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Jamie,

Yes, I am very interested in setting up this weekend. I have the antenna built and planning to tune it tomorrow. We have the push up from the gota station,
but another pole would be a help. This ant is cut for 80 and 40m. I am leaving it at shop for the club so if we want to leave it up we can. What times are you
available this weekend? Give me call. 270 705 3012

Todd
w4tzx

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Todd:

I've got to work a half day tomorrow but anytime this weekend would be fine with me so long as Glenn's OK with it. If your antenna is 135 or so feet long, we have end supports already available. We would just use a center mast support for the center of the dipole. I believe the GOTA mast is one of the end supports as I recall. The other one is in the trees on the East line.

We can quickly throw up a mast with rope halyard for the center support and coax it back to the shack. We ave plenty of coax. :D Just need to throw it in the truck.

I'll give you a buzz tomorrow afternoon.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Postby w4tzx » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:32 am

[b]ARRL RTTY ROUNDUP [b]

COME ONE COME ALL!! We will be setting up for the contest this Sunday 2 pm at the Field Day Location (Glen's Shop). We can use the help and come get a
look at the setup before contest time.

Todd
w4tzx
w4tzx

Previous

Return to Contest Forum