After Action Report 2013

Discussion of ARRL Field Day event.

After Action Report 2013

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Since Field Day is an emergency preparedness test, then it might be helpful to list some of the things that went wrong and were corrected (and went right, to remember to do again !). In EmComm parlance, this would be an After Action Report. What happens generally is that after a deployment, everybody that has leadership roles would sit down and write down and discuss with others some of these items. This would have the effect of preparing better for next time. In pilot's jargon, after a flight, there is always a Squawk Sheet at the FBO to write down anything that needs to be addressed on the aircraft.

So, let's give this a shot. Everybody's invited to add to or otherwise discuss these items. So, in no particular order -

• Hardware :
    o laptop at phone station - replaced due to faulty OS
    o 4:1 baluns - consider replacing with more robust design due to loading issues
    o power cable to BPF - short in connector fixed (I hope)
    o standardize all power distribution with Anderson Power Poles (APP) - need two small Rigrunners
    o lengthen rotator cable to rotator to CW antennas 8 feet
    o glow-in-dark Clam Cleats for guys - worked well, good safety factor
    o share dipole 40/80M for phone & digital stations, or add another dipole
    o intercom system - design, build, test, deploy. Will need at least two.
• Software :
    o N3FJP FD software on all stations except digital station
    o N1MM Logger on digital station w/MMTTY & flDigi engines - worked very well.
    o USB drivers for TS-590's - performed CAT functions well
    o Win 7 all computers
    o ADI files collected for all logs from computers prior to departure
• Operators :
    o 8 licensed, 3 non-licensed
    o control operators for all non-licensed operators
    o know band edges
    o familiarize with radio & other equipment (BPF, rotator)
    o know who to ask for help
    o always start operating session by entering initials in log

Let's see what you guys can remember to add to this. This we can come back to next year to refresh our memories and maybe improve things for Field Day 2014.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Re: After Action Report 2013

Postby Noel KJ4UNX » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:03 am

Jamie, The only thing right off the top of my head that I can add would be to familiarize the "older" hands with the radios and other systems that we use. When I helped some of the newer and unlicensed ops on the gota station. I really had no clue to some of the questions I was asked dealing with the radio and the logging program. I was almost afraid to do anything with the rigs cause I did not want to mess them up in anyway. Now the 6 meter rig we used. We have used it for several years and I was somewhat familiar with it so it was not a problem. But the 590's was another story. They are a great rig but being unfamiliar with them. I just hate to think about messing up someones main HF rig.

kj4unx
Noel KJ4UNX

Re: After Action Report 2013

Postby w4tzx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 am

Jamie,
Having enough operators especially through the night should be looked at. There were time frames in which the radios were idle. Just getting some ops to a few hours after midnight or get more ops involved in the early evening and early morning would help. What about posting a signup sheet. Interested operators could sign up for which stations they would like run and times they are available.

Todd
w4tzx
w4tzx

Return to Field Day