Technician HF Activity

Discussion of operating activities for our Technician class licensees

Technician HF Activity

Postby Jamie_WB4YDL » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello Tech's:

I thought I would start my forum missives with some observations and then maybe a few recommendations for our newest Technician Class ham operators. First off, welcome to the new forum page - I hope you enjoy this resource. The OT's will always be around to answer your questions and guide you in your thirst for radio knowledge. As a Tech, most will operate on the VHF/UHF spectrum and communicate primarily through terrestrial repeaters. This will rapidly become quite boring ! :( I mention the word terrestrial because as Tech's, you have full operational privileges on extra-terrestrial repeaters. We call those satellites ! :mrgreen: Besides the smallish variety, there is also a really big one called the International Space Station - initially called Space Station Alpha. There is active ham radio communications ongoing on a daily basis there and I have the QSL card to prove it ! Do you have or have access to a dual band (2M/70cm) HT ? That may be all you need to try your hand at "satcomm". Let me know if you want to try - I'll be glad to help.

Mike KJ4LTC has done something that most ham operators today don't even think about - that's building a piece of your own ham shack / station. Congratulations, Mike ! This effectively put him in the middle of the fastest growing segment of ham radio - digital communications. This requires very little power and quite pedestrian antennas for effective communications worldwide. If you are limited in your power output or if you want to work more DX, this is definitely the way to do it. The calling frequency on 10M is 28.120 MHz. Set up there and start calling CQ using 30-50 watts on PSK31 and you'll definitely see results.

Of course the original "digital" mode is CW - Morse Code. Did you know that as Tech's , you have HF privileges on other exciting bands if, and only if, you operate on CW mode ? And at 200 watts, you WILL work the world. Many Tech's shy away from CW and ignore this vast expanse of granted spectrum, but I have to tell you, that's how all of us OT's started ! Once you get the first CW contact, no matter how shaky, in the log, YOU'RE HOOKED ! Guaranteed ! :D Besides, we all know, real hams do code !! :P

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Jamie_WB4YDL

Re: Technician HF Activity

Postby KJ4LTC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Wow!!! Thanks for the comments Jamie! I will add the Tech's have cw privleges on 80, 40, and 15 meters (max 200W PEP). I am trying to learn cw to expand my dx'ing resources. However, with my digital set-up i am looking forward to working PSK31, RTTY, and the other digi modes. I've been studying for General class, looking to test at hamfest!!!! For my digital interface, i used the incredibly informative WM2U website http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/interface.html there is a tremendous amount of information there. Also check out Randy, K7AGE, youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/user/K7AGE. If anyone would like information regarding the interface feel free to e-mail me KJ4LTC@yahoo.com

73 and good dx de KJ4LTC
Mike
KJ4LTC

Return to Technician Forum